In 2001, author James Walton Lawrence, Sr., published a book entitled, “They Called It Inman”. An excerpt from the book on page 144 mentions Inman Masonic Lodge:
“Tradition says the Inman Masonic Lodge was founded by three Masons a year and four months after a Post Office was opened in Inman. They have been listed as Dr. John Belton O’Neal Landrum, a physician of the Campobello area, Worshipful Master; P.B. Hall, Senior Warden; and J.C. Hamilton, Junior Warden.
Landrum was also the historian who compiled two volumes of history, one about upper South Carolina, and the other about Spartanburg County around 1900. It was his father, the Rev. John Gill Landrum, a Baptist Minister, who established the Town of Landrum. The good doctor is buried in Mount Zion Baptist Church’s cemetary beside the Blackstock Road.
The Lodge’s charter was granted by the Grand Lodge of South Carolina, while in session in the City of Charleston the evening of December 11, 1878. The Grandmaster was Augustus Smythe.
The Inman Lodge has been very active in the practice of Masonry through the years, and has sustained a sizeable membership. Currently, the Lodge has 311 Master Masons.
The brethren have been busy with fund-raising projects to finance college scholarships for students at Chapman High School, Support to Inman Youth Association, Inman Rescue Squad, the Scottish Rite Hospital and the York Rite Hospital.
Most recently, ten officers of the Grand Lodge of South Carolina are members of the Inman Lodge.
Current officers of the 123-year-old Masonic Body include Dean Chapman, Worshipful Master; David Grace, Senior Warden; Mark Dill; Junior Warden; J.E. Mitchell, Secretary; Grady Rhinehart, Treasurer. The Tyler is Doug O’Shields.
The Lodge is housed in an attractive and comfortable Temple at 8 Blackstock Road and shares its facilities with the Inman Chapter of the Eastern Star.”